Tuesday, July 01, 2008

This is where I'll be this weekend




I've not taken any time off in a very long time. In fact, I still have over 6 vacation days left from last year. That and my lack of entries should give you an idea on how busy I've been. I did go to a yankee game 2 weekends ago. My son was over the moon that day, since I finally ended my boycott against Steinbrenner, so he could visit the stadium before its torn down in October. It rained and we were one of the few crazy people who sat in a monsoon-like downpour for over 20 min in our rain ponchos waiting for the game to restart. As we sat there my son complained almost the entire time. I told him that he complained so much he had shown me he still was not ready for camping.

Thinking silently about what I said, he asked, "what will it take for me to be ready?" I quickly told him, "dealing with all kinds of challenges and weather without a word of complaint. Consider this entire weekend coming up a major test. If you can get through it without complaining, maybe we'll go camping with you by September." We'll see what happens.

I'm really looking forward to this long weekend. I have a friend coming into town, whom I've not seen in years and we're going to hang out and watch the fireworks somewhere along the water's edge. My son is so excited he's talked of nothing else. He's never seen them because he's fallen asleep early and I've gone home to put him to bed.

My son started camp on Monday and has been happier than a pig in a trough! He started looking forward and talking of nothing but camp and watching the fireworks since mid-June. As far as urban day camps go, the YMCA runs the best day camps in NYC - bar none! How I wish they had entire weekend away camps for families at their campgrounds in the Catskills.

Hmmmmm, I think I'm going to suggest it to the directors. Something for families to do in late September when campers no longer use the cabins. If not I can always visit the wilds and natives of Georgia. I understand that in some places the natives are not housebroken. But I must go now. I have no time to contemplate vacations or outings. So I leave you with this lovely picture. But where's the fleet?

2 comments:

Cappy said...

Enjoy the 4th. Hope you are feeling better.

Mrs. Who said...

Happy belated 4th!